Loading Viddler Videos
This seminar explores practical ideas for teaching pronunciation and listening based on Katy and Laura’s classroom experiences in Dubai and London, respectively. With almost 200 nationalities, Dubai is a true melting pot, and London is "widely recognised as the most multilingual city in the world" (Graddol, 2006:28). One of the main implications for the classroom is with regards to pronunciation (the priority is not to assimilate, but to be intelligible), and listening (the challenge of dealing with a myriad of unfamiliar accents).
In this seminar the presenters make practical suggestions for:
- prioritising areas for pronunciation work in a multilingual class
- adapting pronunciation activities from standard coursebooks for ELF purposes
- exploiting authentic materials
- raising students’ awareness of the responsibilities of the listener
- dealing with students’ misconceptions/negative perceptions of ELF