- To provide a succinct introduction to the use of mobile technology for English language learning.
- Teachers will take away simple, practical ideas to try out with learners.
Who is this relevant for?
Regardless of experience, this seminar will appeal to all teachers who are new to mobile technology for educational purposes but are interested in learning more about it; with practical ideas for the classroom.
Recent language education-based studies (Jarvis and Szymczyk, 2010; Jarvis and Pastuszka, 2008; Figura and Jarvis, 2007; Jarvis, 2008a; 2008b; 2005), including most recently (Jarvis, forthcoming), a British Council supported project with Thai and Arabic speakers, questions whether the traditional CALL paradigm is still the most appropriate.
Russell Stannard outlines some changes that technology is driving in English language teaching, particularly in EAP.
In this seminar Gavin Dudeney asks 'What is digital literacy?' and considers its implications for teachers and learners. Gavin refers to three YouTube videos in the talk, which you can see here:
- Penny Lane: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yJ2yWvGnkI
- Engage Me!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1YoCx384GQ
- Matt Dancing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlfKdbWwruY
You can also download the presentation: http://www.dudeney.com/DigitalLiteracies.pdf